Skip to content

Transferring Your SEVIS Record

F-1 students who want to transfer from one U.S. school to another must carefully follow certain procedures to maintain lawful status.  When transferring, the start date at your new school must be within 5 months of your transfer out date in SEVIS or your program completion, whichever is earlier.  For students authorized for post-completion OPT, the new program start date must be within 5 months of your SEVIS transfer out date or the end of the OPT authorization, whichever is earlier.  Be aware that authorization for OPT ends on the transfer release date and is not transferable. If you want to complete OPT, the transfer-out school must set the release date after the OPT ends. You can request to transfer up until the end of the 60-day grace period following post-completion OPT, as long as the transfer release date will occur within five months or at the start of the next available session, whichever is sooner.
To transfer into or out of LaGrange College, you must currently be maintaining F-1 status and if you have already graduated, you must be within your 60-day grace period.

Procedures to transfer into LaGrange College:
Before transferring your SEVIS record to LaGrange College, you must first apply for admission and be accepted.  You will need to check with your international adviser from your transferring out school what documents they will need to verify that you have been accepted into LaGrange College before they begin the transfer process.

Procedures to transfer out of LaGrange College:
To transfer from LaGrange College to another school in the U.S., you must first apply and be accepted into the new school.  Once accepted you must submit a copy of the admission offer letter or email from your new school to a DSO in this the Office of Global Engagement.  Your new school may also have other documents or forms they require the Office of Global Engagement to complete before transferring your SEVIS record.  You will need to set a transfer out date after considering the following:  your program end date, the last date of your final semester, when to end your current OPT, or if you will need to travel out of the U.S. between transferring. Please consult with a DSO in this office and your new school before selecting a date. The Office of Global Engagement will send you an email confirming the date of transfer once it is set. 

Please remember that the transfer out date is when LaGrange College will no longer have access to your I-20 in SEVIS, your new school will take over this information.

Transfer Out Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
What information am I responsible for submitting to the DSO in the Office of Global Engagement?  You should bring the following information:
  • Written confirmation of the acceptance from the transfer-in school
  • Contact information for the new school’s DSO
  • The SEVIS school code for the transfer-in school to ensure transfer to the correct school
Can I stay in the U.S. between programs?  You may stay in the U.S. while transferring if the SEVIS record transfer procedures are correctly followed. If the period between programs is longer than 5 months, your new school must issue a new initial I-20 with a new SEVIS number (you will need to pay the SEVIS fee again). You must leave the U.S. within your 60-day grace period and re-enter no earlier than 30 days before your new program start date.
How does my SEVIS transfer affect my travel plans?  You must enter the U.S. on the I-20 from the new school. It is important to discuss your travel plans with your international student adviser at the new school so that an appropriate transfer out date and new I-20 issuance can be coordinated to facilitate your travel.
Can I use my current visa even though I am changing schools?  As long as you have followed the proper transfer procedures, you will be able to use your current, unexpired visa to re-enter the U.S. even though it has your previous school name printed on it.
Can I request to transfer my SEVIS record after I have graduated?  You are eligible to request a SEVIS record transfer during the 60-day grace period following your program completion. If you are authorized for OPT you can request a SEVIS record transfer during your OPT period and within the 60-day grace period following your OPT expiration date.
How does my SEVIS transfer affect my OPT authorization?  If you are currently authorized for OPT, choose carefully when deciding what date you would like your SEVIS record transferred to your new school. OPT authorization ends on the transfer-out date, even if the EAD card is not yet expired. If you plan to work between programs while on OPT coordinate with your international student adviser at both schools to determine an appropriate transfer out date.
When do I need to report to my new school's international office?  You must report to your new school's International Office within 15 days of the program start date listed on your I-20.
Different schools have different check-in procedures; check your new schools admissions material for more information.