Skip to content

Social Security

International students can only get a Social Security Number if they are employed. If you will be working on campus, you will need to complete form SS-5 and show your I-94, I-20, passport, visa, and a letter from a DSO that:
  • Identifies you
  • Confirms your current school status
  • Identifies your employer, your eligibility to work, and the type of work you are or will be doing.
They will also need evidence of that employment, such as a recent pay slip or a letter from your employer. Your supervisor must sign and date the employment letter describing:
  • Your job
  • Your employment start date
  • The number of hours you are or will be working
  • Your supervisor’s name and telephone number
Students must wait at least 10 days after their initial entry into the U.S to begin the application process.  If you have been approved for OPT or CPT you can apply for a Social Security number by presenting the following:
  • EAD card
  • current I-20
  • passport and visa
  • a letter from your employer. 
If you are not employed and want to apply for a state ID card or driver’s license, you can receive a “denial letter” from the Social Security Administration in place of a social security number.